Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Meet-Cute

                The day I received my very first message from Phil, I added him to my instant messenger. Since that day, my heart would race every time I signed in to see if he was there. It took at least twelve attempts of connecting every ten minutes, and pacing back and forth as I waited for it to sign it, before he was actually online.
                I still remember the first words I typed to him. Joyel. Of course, he had no idea who I was or what I was talking about when he read that. I explained that Joyel is my name. I also explained the whole internet dating story to him and told him how I was embarrassed and would it be possible for him to forget the message I sent him? He made fun of me and wrote ‘No way, this one’s a keeper; I’m going to remember it forever and always.’
                Phil and I became fast friends. In fact, Phil was the first person that I felt like I could really trust, which was strange considering the fact that we hadn’t actually met yet. He made it so easy for me to tell him anything and everything. Perhaps it was because we were separated by a screen, or maybe it was the fact that he had no idea who I was, really. Our relationship was new with no mistakes in it, and he made me feel like I could be myself. The way you feel when you’re with your very best friend; something I had never really had. That very first day we chatted until our fingers were numb and our eyes were sore from staring at the screen for so long.
                From then on, we spent hours chatting every day and it became my favorite part of day. We would talk about everything, from current events in the world to current events in our lives. I felt like I had known him all my life, and at the same time wished I had met him sooner.
                I began to know his schedule, as he did mine. I would rush home from work and impatiently wait for the instant messenger to connect. Most days, he would write me clever little e-mails while I was offline. They would say random things like ‘Total Disney moment: Don’t you think it’s crazy how Donald Duck never wears pants, but throws on a towel when he gets out of the shower?’ or cute things such as ’I’m going to the dentist today, come hold my hand.’ He would even send me messages to let know if he wouldn’t be online that day or just funny anecdotes of what had happened to him throughout the day.
                Over the course of the first month of our conversations, I learned that Phil was in a band; he was on lead vocals and played guitar sometimes. He had just gotten back from Nicaragua where he helped families in need. He lived with them, in the same living conditions, and helped them complete their daily tasks. He didn’t want anything to do with love as he was still digesting the fact that his ex-girlfriend cheated on him with his friend. He later admitted that he never loved her, but it still bruised his ego.
                Phil quickly learned that on most days I had way too much to say, and knew way too many random facts about celebrities. He learned that I was a college drop-out who constantly daydreamed about her prince charming and wrote in her journal in a dear diary kind of way. He discovered that I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothes and had zero self confidence.
                We learned that we share the same zodiac sign and are roughly three weeks apart. We shortly after learned that we were more connected than we even thought.


                Before I knew it, it was February. More specifically, it was Superbowl Sunday and a hectic day at work. The hotel was packed as we were throwing a party in honor of the big event. There was a snow storm  and clients were checking in left and right as they couldn’t drive considering the weather. I finally made it out of work shortly after 8 p.m., when I usually finished at 3 p.m. Happy to be home, I walked in to my apartment exhausted and just wanted to take a nice long bath. I knew that Phil was gone with his friends to enjoy the Superbowl, but still wanted to check my e-mails just to be sure.
                I ran my bath as I waited for my laptop to power up and my IM to connect. By then I had discovered how to make it connect automatically. I walked over to my desk and pulled out my chair, as PaddyCakes watched my every move. Perhaps she felt neglected; I spent most of my time in front of the screen as of late.
                ''Come on Paddy, come read mommy’s messages with her'' I instructed her, feeling guilty.
                 She jumped on my lap as I typed in my e-mail password and to my surprise I didn’t have a single message, not even one offering breast enhancement or the best weight lost supplement.
                I got up and headed to my bath, feeling a little sad that Phil hadn’t written me any messages that day. I found myself missing him. Wondering what he was doing and if he was missing me. Even though we had never met, I felt like he was this major part of my life. Our conversations occupied most of my free time and even when we weren’t chatting I found myself thinking about him.
                I laid my head against the bath cushion and closed my eyes. This is nice, I thought. Just as I was drifting away to a dream of a beach wedding with Phil standing under a palm tree, the phone began to ring.
                ''Paddy-Cakes, bring mommy the phone?'' Oh right, she’s a cat, I reminded myself.
                I decided to ignore it and proceeded to close my eyes again. Whoever it was, they didn’t leave a message, I noted. And then again, the phone rang. Frustrated I grabbed a towel and ran down the hallway, leaving a trail of soaps suds and bubbles as if I were running through the woods and wanted to find my way back. I made it to the phone and managed to say hello before the machine picked up again.
                ''Hey, it’s Malorie'' A voice said on the other end.
                ''Hey Mal'' I said trying to sound cheerful. ''How are you?'' I added politely
                ''I’m great thanks. Listen sweetie, a bunch of us are going to Relay to watch the Superbowl and you know, have a few drinks. Are you up for it? Please say yes'' she begged.
                You knew Malorie was trying to con you into something when she called you sweetie. Malorie was at Relay every Thursday and Sunday without fail. Her blonde hair was always perfectly coiffed, and her outfits, very figure flattering. Since she and the love of her life Philippe had split, she was usually there trying to find someone to kiss at the end of the night. I sensed desperation in her voice so I couldn’t very well say no that night, even though I just wanted to crawl into bed.
                I was getting ready, putting the finals touches on my hair, when Malorie called saying she had arrived and was waiting for me by the door downstairs. I grabbed my purse and jacket, and gave PaddyCakes a kiss goodnight, promising to not come home too late.
                The storm had died down and the city was calm. Everyone was indoors, where it was warm, cheering for whichever teams were playing that night. I knew even less about football than I did about the quadratic equation, but I managed to convince myself that I would have fun.
                We were pulling up to the bar and Malorie was telling me about some of her childhood friends that were most likely going to be at Relay as they went every Sunday. I vaguely remembered meeting one of them, Keven, when she mentioned his name as we walked into the bar.
                We were standing at the coat check when she waved over to three guys standing at the bar.
                ''Great! He’s here'' she sounded excited.
                ''Who?'' I inquired looking over at the bar, but it was too dark to make out any faces.
                ''This guy who I grew up with'' She said looking away
                ''Oh so we’re here for some guy? Look Malorie, if you came here to make out with some guy and leave me stranded at the end of the night-''
                 ''Not for me'' she cut me off ''for you, silly.'' She said with a smirk on her face.
                I gave her a whatever you’re selling, I ain’t buying look and didn’t budge from where I was standing.
                ''Pleaseee sweetie'' She begged. ''He came to the salon to get his hair cut the other day and he’s newly single and for some reason I just thought of you. I don’t know why, but he reminds me of you; a hopeless romantic. Anyways, he has no idea so if it’s nay then you just walk the other way.''
                ''I am not a hopeless romantic!'' I said defensively ''Besides, I already have …''
                ''What?'' she interrupted me. ''A guy? Oh my god, really? That’s so exciting'' she yelled out. "What’s his name" she inquired as I stopped to rest my purse on a bench and look for my wallet.
                "Oh my god, you’re going to laugh." I had a smile on my face "Get this, his name is Phi-"
                "Phil!'' I heard Malorie yell out.
                ''Yes, actually that’s it…Isn’t that funny?'' I laughed and looked up at her. But she was already talking to some guy whose face I couldn’t quite see because he was leaning on a poker machine. That is just like Malorie, already ignoring me to talk to some guy, I thought as I reached back into my purse. Joyel, you really should start carrying a flashlight in your -  I felt Malorie tap me on the shoulder, interrupting my thought.
                ''Finally, my wallet!'' I said standing up to properly face her.
                She leaned in and whispered something that I didn’t quite catch. The music was incredibly loud as I pointed out to her at that moment. She was making a gesture as if pointing behind her and saying something that I couldn’t make out. Finally she yelled ''that’s him!'' Confused, I looked over her shoulder and as I did so, Malorie turned and saw what I saw – nothing! There wasn’t anyone there. Oh goodness, poor Malorie, I thought. She really should not drink before she gets to the bar.
                Malorie grabbed my hand and instructed me to follow her. We were making our way through the crowd, heading for the bar. Mal was on a mission. She leaned in close to some guy with an afro and a Led Zepplin t-shirt, and spoke into his ear. They both looked around and the afro-boy lifted his shoulders and shook his head as if to say I don’t know. She turned to me and then looked over my shoulder and smiled.
                ''There he is'', I read her lips. I looked at her confused as if to ask who? She leaned in closer so I could hear and continued ''the guy I want you to meet.''
                ''Phil!'' she yelled while gesturing her hand instructing him to come over.
                As soon as she said his name again, my heart stopped, and I somehow knew even before I turned around. I stood there frozen.
                ''Hey Phil, I want you to meet my friend.''
                Too afraid to jolt my body, I stood there staring into oblivion. Malorie grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face him. We both stood there staring at each other, not quite sure what to do next.
                ''This is …'' and before she could finish her sentence, Phil interrupted her.
                ''Joyel'' he said with the biggest smile.
                As he said it, the music skipped a beat, and so did my heart.

2 comments:

  1. LOL ''Paddy-Cakes, bring mommy the phone?''


    Lyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Joeyl : )

    Lauraa

    ReplyDelete