Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It was the Morning After...

                ...and I woke up to the worst headache imaginable. Great start to a new year, I thought. PaddyCakes was lying on the pillow next to me and if only she were Garfield I would have asked her what happened the previous night. 
                I crawled out of bed, put on a pot of coffee, turned on the computer and headed for my toothbrush before checking my e-mails and online celebrity gossip - my regular morning routine!
                I sat down in front of my laptop, coffee in hand, and proceeded to type in my password. Five new messages awaited me.

The trip is fantastic! We are on the boat, lots of fun and dancing. Weather is gorgeous and food is delicious. Had a Cobb Salad last night, Louis had the Fish n’ Chips. Forward this message to your sister. Love, mom xoxo.

                I clicked next, making a mental note to fill Dawn in later.

FW: fr: Dawn

Happy New Year! Oh! And why did you call me at like 4 a.m.? I could barely understand your message... something about a chin dimple? Call me later. 
P.S. Mom wanted me to forward this:

The trip is fantastic! We are on the boat, lots of fun and dancing. Weather is gorgeous and food is delicious. Had a Cobb Salad last night, Louis had the Fish n’ Chips. Forward this message to your sister. Love, mom xoxo.

                I couldn't help but laugh at poor Mom. She always made us forward each other e-mails just in case. ''You can't trust the internet on cruise ships" she would say. And I wasn't even going to bother trying to understand what Dawn meant about my alleged phone call; I was obviously in bed at that time. A chin dimple? Really, Dawn? I thought as I made my way to the next message.

We have received your registration. Thank you for signing up to Do You Look Good
Here is your information: Username: Littlelove 
                                           Password: gintonic

                Stupid spam, I assumed.

Thank you for updating your profile, Littlelove. 
Your picture is currently being approved and should appear within the next 24 hours.
This is not a spam message, please verify your Do You Look Good user options should you no longer wish to receive these notices.


                  Huh? Is this a joke? Questions started to arise as I clicked next hoping for a real message.
  
New message alert for Littlelove. 
You have received a message from DarkStar13, click the link below and sign in to read your message.
This is not a spam message, please verify your Do You Look Good user options should you no longer wish to receive these notices.

                This is ridiculous, I thought. DarkStar13? LittleLove? I sat there confused, contemplating whether or not I was curious enough to follow the instructions in the e-mail. After all, I had already wasted enough of my time and I really wanted to know if Seth and Summer from The O.C. had become Sethummer in real life. Were Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson really dating? And if so, would that mean that Seth gets Summer in the show? I definitely had more serious matters to attend to, but for some reason, that day, DarkStar13 and Littlelove won over Sethummer.

                I clicked on the link in the message and entered in the Littlelove username and gintonic password -seriously, who came up with this? I wondered. The information loaded and I could not believe what was right front of me. There it was, a picture of me, looking a little too happy I might add, along with Paddy-Cakes who, as usual, seemed right at home posing on my lap in front of the camera. I sat there confused, wondering why on earth not only my picture, but an entire page about me was on this website. I scrolled down the profile page, my eyes moving right to left, left to right, up and down; not quite knowing what I was looking for or even where to look. I sat and thought for a moment, trying desperately to remember the events that had occurred the previous night. The girls were talking about a dating a website, I recalled. Oh my goodness, they must have signed me up as a joke, I assumed.
                ''Bitches!'' I exclaimed looking over at PaddyCakes who jumped up at the sound of my voice.
                I didn’t know for sure that they were behind all of this, but it was the only explanation I could think of at the time. But when could they have done that? I wondered. This picture had to have been taken last night, I looked closer at the profile picture. Nothing made sense. Unless..., I thought as I turned to give Paddy a suspicious look, who in returned mirrored my expression. Nah...
                In the top left corner of the page I saw a small flashing flag, with the number 1 beside it. This must be the message. Did I really want to know who DarkStar13 was? Did I really care? I felt my hand guiding the mouse up to the flag. Something overcame me, possessing me to click on the message. Whether I was ready or not, I was about to find out what was really going on.

I don’t know... I see you like skittles, rainbows, unicorns and palm trees, but do you like robots and imaginary friends? ‘Cause those are pretty important to me. Tell you what, before we start planning the wedding, add me on instant messenger 
and you can start by telling me your name because you didn’t put it in your info and 
I’m guessing it’s not Littlelove, but I could be wrong.

                I sat there and read the message over and over, trying to understand where it came from. I mean, I knew it came from DarkStar13, and I knew that it was from this website, but none of it made sense. Why had he written ‘I don’t know’ in the beginning of his message? And more importantly, why did my stomach feel weird? Like millions of butterflies were fluttering around inside of it, and I couldn’t pull away from the screen.  
                I scrolled further down the message box to see if there were any other bits of information that could help me. 

P.S. Cute necklace

Phil xX

Darkstar13@mail.com

                Phil...Phil... why did that name ring a bell? Audrey’s boyfriend? I wondered. Malorie’s boyfriend? My mind was racing. And then right below, I saw it, and was instantly mortified.

Littlelove wrote:

Will you be my boyfriend?

 I remembered.

1 comment:

  1. Love your writting. Keep it up, it's really fun to read. I will definitely follow. :) xoxox


    Lyne

    ReplyDelete